Thursday, December 28, 2006

Carr Mountain (3,453 ft) and Three Ponds/Kineo Trail Loop

Wednesday December 27, 2006

Hikers: Pat, Lincoln, Luna
Weather: high 20s - low 30s, cloudy, light snow
Miles: 11.1
Elevation Gain: 2143 ft
Duration: 4.5 hrs

Carr Mountain is near Stinson Lake in Rumney, NH. I wanted to take the dogs hiking at least once during the holiday break, and I decided on Carr Mtn because it is a relatively short drive - a little over an hour. I first heard of Carr Mtn a little while ago when I stumbled upon a list of peaks in New Hampshire that have good views. The list is called 52 With-A-View, and consists of peaks below 4,000 feet in elevation.

I was somewhat surprised to see snow on the ground at the trailhead since there wasn't any snow when I hiked Mt. Tremont a couple weeks ago and the weather hasn't been very cold since. Apparently, the mountains did get some snow. There was about an inch of crusty snow for most of the hike with slightly more at the summit.

The summit is 3 miles from the trailhead via the Carr Mountain Trail. The trail was fairly wet and muddy. So much so, that at one point I was starting to wonder if I'd taken a wrong turn and was following a streambed instead of the trail. The trail climbs pretty steadily but is never steep. The summit has remnants of a fire tower and some open rock. It was clouded in when I was up there, so I didn't get to observe any of the supposedly good views.

The descent down the trail went quickly and I was back at the Three Ponds Trail at noon, so I decided to hike that 5 mile loop before heading back to the car. The trail is wet near the ponds, but nice overall. There is a shelter near one of the ponds, though I didn't go and look at it.

No comments: