Friday, October 07, 2005

Boulder Morty's, NH

Last night I went to Boulder Morty's Climbing gym in Nashua. It was a lot of fun. I hadn't been there in years, and it showed. Back when I was out in Wyoming for a semester, they had a climbing wall at the fitness center, and I would go a couple times a week. I got pretty good. Climbing often is key to developing the grip strength to pull on small holds. I went to Sinks Canyon one weekend and consistently top roped 5.9s cleanly. I even climbed a couple tens. It was a few years ago, and maybe my memory is being nice to me, but I don't remember falling at all there, except on a 5.11. Climbing last night felt good and bad. It felt nice because I still had most of the technique, but I clearly didn't have the strength I once did. I climbed a few 5.7s cleanly when I first arrived, but pretty soon, I got pumped out before reaching the top. I knew I could do the moves, it was just a matter of having the grip strength. The last few years have been very busy with work and class. I'm going to make climbing more of a priority from now on.

No comments: